Wednesday, December 22, 2010

First day teaching in English House

I started teaching today for English House, the inter-session English program at Keimyung University.

It's the first day, so hard to say. I only saw the book about 5 minutes before the first class, but already knew we weren't using it today. And met with the teachers who I share classes with at lunch -- well, the conversation teachers. The Writing Teachers are doing their own thing, mostly. We conversation teachers for Intermediate students (both levels) are using a discussion topics book.

The students seem keen enough, though of course most are a bit shy this first day. I had to talk too much. But started all my classes with silence, then asking them "why are you here?" Trying to make them talk. Sitting at the side of the class, not taking the front of the class and the lectern until all students had done their own self-introductions (about 30 or 40 minutes of classtime). 75 minute class meetings. We'll see how it goes. I hope to talk little. But they seem to want me to be active.

No comments:

Post a Comment