Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Jan 26 online (PPP TTT ESA ARC compared)

new technological wrinkle -- my voice echoed for students. So almost everything I did was textchat, plus some whiteboard work (see further below). The other challenges of teaching from across the Pacific remained - student voices echoed for me (not for each other) and video image of them froze on my computer after less than 5 minutes (but not for them).

old pedagogical challenge -- students hadn't prepared for class. Only one had viewed the MATL-1 video (and written a reactionnaire), none had completed the Two of Three VODs assignment, because the system wasn't working correctly until Monday evening (they couldn't watch a video, it kept stopping).

So, I took something I had thought I might do on Friday (presentation) and did it tonight (Wednesday)

I did a more detailed chart of comparing ESA/ARC/PPP/TTT/TBL live on the whiteboard, which they appreciated. I told them that I had intended to make such a comparison one of their assignments, but since they were struggling with it I gave it to them. And noted that as you run later in class (more to the right) the distinctions become less clear or overlaps become more common, and that for each of these (ARC, PPP, ESA, etc) the order can be changed, it's just that these are the most common presentation organizations. (The image below is blurry, a system save of the whiteboard -- maybe a screencapture would be better next time!)

We adjusted some deadlines to reflect the reality of this year's Sollal -- Wed-Friday really means Tuesday evening through Sunday night away from home, at relatives.



No comments:

Post a Comment